Thursday, December 24, 2009

i've been dreaming about my dad again. when he first died, i dreamed about him several times in a night, every night. but that lulled for quite a while. i hadn't been dreaming about him for at least a year until recently, and now it seems to be every night again.
the dreams are weird. it's my dad's body, but his character is strangely altered. he's usually mad and angry, but in the dreams, these aren't just temporary mood shifts, the mad and the angry are always there. but somehow, in my dreams, i know he's acting this way because he's sick, and for some reason, his illness has altered his personality.
this is nothing like real life. besides that my dad so rarely got mad or angry, no signs of illness existed until that very morning. we had no idea he was dying--no idea his heart was struggling as it was.
in my dreams, too, i know he's on the very verge of death. i know he could leave us at any moment, so i can't leave his side, no matter the strange alteration of his personality. i want to be around him. i want to cling to him, to get every last possible second with him that i can. i wake up every time. i never witness his death in my dreams, for which i'm thankful. but i'm not sure the constant waiting for it doesn't do more damage. it's like he's back mysteriously in our lives. i can't really figure out, in my dream, what happened, why he was gone in the first place, all i know is that i have a second chance to be with him, and i'm on the figurative edge of my seat in every dream, afraid that he's going to leave any second.

strange as it may sound, i'm grateful for these dreams. even though they're exhausting and sometimes heartbreaking, they're also small images of my dad. small chances to sort of be with him and remember him. i don't mind too much that he's not "himself," because even in my dreams, i can remember what he's really like, who he really was. i remember his smiles and his laughter, and i remember how he looked at me with that very special look that only daughters know. that look that says there's nothing in the world he wouldn't do for me. that look of sweet admiration. that look that says all he sees when he looks at me is the little girl he used to hold in his arms. i still know that look. i still remember those eyes. i remember his smell and the sound of his voice. i remember how he felt, where he was squishy, and where he was only bones. i remember where his tan line started on his arms, and which veins popped out that i liked to squish.
i remember it all. i remember it so well that it both hurts and delights; so well that most of the time i try not to remember it so i don't have to deal with the hurt part.
....

2 comments:

Kristi said...

working on an xmas gift for my dad that is having me look through old pics and videos....have come across several of my aunt I forgot I even had. It's wonderful, and horrible at the same time. I still keep several pics of her and I around the house and one by my bedside. I also have a small bottle of her favorite perfume. I dream of her every now and then....more so when there is a major event in my life she didn't get to enjoy (marriage, career, house, kids) I think our memories are God's gift to us! It makes it a little easier because a piece of them is with us. When I go to my grandparents house I love to open my aunts closet and smell her clothes....no matter how much time goes by I still need to feel connected to her.

All this and she was just my aunt, AMAZING, but my aunt. I can't imagine the depth of what you go through....but know you are on my mind often and "Mr Ed" is thought of and talked about in our home on a regular basis :) So glad Josh and I both were able to know him on such a special level!!

Love you girl, Merry Xmas! Do something special to remember your dad and make it a tradition....I watch the Parade at Thanksgiving at Christmas, something I always did with my aunt :)

Anonymous said...

Baby, I ache for you. And definitely NOT in a condescending or pitiful kind of way, but in a "I *wish* that I could walk right in, and for no glory of my own, whisk away the stabbing pain, for you.

If it's like (although multiplied, I'm sure), the aching stabbing ick you feel in your throat just before/after you cry, there's little you can do for that.

And for that, I'm so, so sorry.

Here in solidarity, with love, always.

K